Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Month of Abject Poverty: Resumes

The PAUSE was lovely, as was our little vacation. More money was spent on gas than on what would normally be considered un-allowed purchases (four DVDs, chocolate covered raisins, cookies, chips, and three...or was it four?...meals out). But today the Month of Abject Poverty was put back on PLAY for at least another week, but most likely another month, or maybe two...

Today my devotion to the Month of Abject Poverty was sorely tested.

On my way to the post office to mail our tax return I passed the library and noticed a large sign. A large sign with words that are divine to a Thteed's ears "Used Book Sale" (cue angelic voices).

I stopped.

I watched mothers and their children leaving with plastic shopping bags of books, I saw old gentlemen carrying out nice stacks of hardback novels, I really really wanted to cross the street and go inside to browse the books.

"I could just go in and look, I don't have to buy anything, just look....HA! Of course you're going to buy something, there's no way you will be able to pass up buying a book that's marked for $1, it's against your nature...Yes, you are right, sigh. I will not cross the street and enter the "Used Book Sale". I will continue on to the post office to mail my tax return, then return to my car and continue with my remaining errands."

And that is what I did.

Pulling away I was very proud of myself for resisting such a HUGE temptation.

But the tempting was not over.

I was on my way to Target, to make a return.

Target is big temptation number one on my list of places to avoid during the Month of Abject Poverty. But I had to return a DVD Theric and I had purchased to give to the Big O for Easter. We found and bought the same DVD at Costco (during our vacation), but it was packed together with another movie we liked and priced only one dollar more than what we paid for the one purchased at Target. So the return had to be made.

I parked. I told myself I would do the return then get back in the car. I would NOT be wandering around the store. The Big O and I went in, we did the return, we were about to leave when I saw a huge, strangely cute, purple bunny hanging from the ceiling. It was advertising the Easter merchandise. The display was intriguing and cute. Whoever they got to illustrate the Easter stuff was good--weird but cute at the same time. I had to go check it out. Into a cart the Big O went and we were off.

We checked out the Easter stuff and the rest of the store. It was fun, but nothing was purchased. You should be very proud of me. I am very proud of me. Actually, I was slightly disappointed that I didn't find anything I really wanted to buy. Perhaps I am beginning to wean myself from the teat-o-Target?

Next we headed for Costco to get some whole milk for the Big O. Costco can also be dangerous but since Theric was not with me there was no looking at DVDs or books, just wandering the warehouse trying to find samples. There were only two! Seafood (yuck) and some sort of coffee drink. I was most upset, but left Costco with only one purchase made.

Success!

I'm getting pretty good at being Abjectly poor.


8 Comments:

Blogger Th. said...

.

I went the the Used Book Sale.

I spent $8.25.

But it was cash so it doesn't count.

Especially since it was magic cash that just Appeared! in my wallet

And, my dear, nothing was priced over 50¢.

Kids books were only 25¢.

I totally did the right thing.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 11:42:00 PM  
Blogger Lady Steed said...

You're not learning anything!

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 11:43:00 PM  
Blogger Lady Steed said...

ANYTHING!!

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 12:01:00 AM  
Blogger Katria said...

The bunny thing sort of scares me....

My MoAP is.... umm... Not going quite as planned. I bought Narnia on DVD yesterday.

P.S. Our library in Santa Horhe has yearly used book sales. We went once and I found the most awesome book about an alligator or crocodile or something like that. Books are wonderful!

And good job walking out of Target without buying anything. You are a better woman than I.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 9:10:00 AM  
Blogger Christian said...

Umm . . . I think it's a greater sin to pass up a book sale than it is to violate the Month of Abject Poverty, Continued.

But that's just me.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

teat-o-Target. Funniest thing I've read all day...

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 1:05:00 PM  
Blogger Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I agree with Miss Hass. hahahaha. And what control you showed lady steed!!!

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 3:41:00 PM  
Blogger Cricket said...

I'm impressed that you got out of Costco for under a hundred bucks! That's just plain amazing...

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 10:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home