Monday, March 20, 2006

Time Out!

Saturday I attended Time Out for Women at the Long Beach Convention Center. If you have the chance to go I would recommend it, you’ll have a good time.

I got to hear Wendy Watson, Sherri Dew, Emily Watts and Stephen E. Robinson speak. Oh and Michael McLean too. The first three were great; they were so funny and gave me much to think about. Stephen E. Robinson was also good but seemed a strange choice for this event.

First, he’s not a woman. Second,well he just wasn’t nearly as funny or as skilled at working the crowd as the previous three—I felt like I was back at BYU in a religion class listening to a lecture. Which makes sense, since he is a religion professor at BYU. Not to say he wasn't entertaining at all, he was, he made a few good jokes, got the crowd to snicker, but he was no Sherri Dew. Though he did say one of my favorite things of the day (this is a paraphrase of what I remember, not a direct quote) :

‘I have suggested to the Brethren many times that we institute a thing I like to call Public Slappings. A slap would be administered to each person in a ward that has taught or
perpetuated a falsehood about salvation. These slappings could take place on Fast Sunday
just before the blessings of the babies.’

I’ve got to admit that think this is a great idea! Some people just need to be slapped. Though it might make a bad impression on investigators…

So, Time Out for Women was great. I laughed, I cried, I felt the Spirit and my soul was fed—pretty good deal for 35 bucks, I highly recommend it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

That's cool you got to go. Is this why Th and Big O spent time with his dad? Very interesting concept, the public slappings. Why stop with the slap? Why not just have a good old fashioned flogging?

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 4:36:00 PM  
Blogger Katria said...

Did Michael McLean sing? He used to be my cousin's Sunday School teacher and sang at his missionary "see you later" (can't call it a farewell anymore). He does have a talent for writing music, just not singing it.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 9:45:00 AM  
Blogger Lady Steed said...

Rachel
Yes, Mr. McLean did sing and play the piano. I had always thought I hated his music, but turns out I kind of like it...I actually rather perferred hearing him sing his songs as opposed to whatever singers I have heard sing them. His singing the songs made them more sincere, I felt.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 11:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home