Sunday, March 12, 2006

Sacrament Celebrity

Today Theric and I spoke in our ward's Sacrament Meeting. I managed to use up all of my time and some of Theric's. I also managed to speak clearly and not puke all over the podium. Plus I think the talk I prepared was pretty good and it seemed like people were actually interested in what I was saying.

After the meeting was over many people came up to tell us what a good job we did and they all seemed like they were actually really impressed by our talks and us. It was nice to know that the words I had prepared were heard and appreciated by the fellow members of my ward. Plus it felt really nice to have so many people I don't really know yet tell me how great I was.

Preparing a talk for sacrament meeting is not an easy thing for me. I also have a difficult time speaking in front of large groups. But afterwards, it seems I always receive many compliments saying how good it was and what a good speaker I am. So that's nice, having my ego stroked. I just wish I could remember how good it feels.

It occurred to me that being the speaker in Sacrament meeting automatically makes you a Celebrity in your Ward for that Sunday. Perhaps it would be easier for the bishopric to convince people to speak in sacrament meetings if, instead of saying, "Brother and Sister So-and-so, how would you like to speak in church in two weeks?", trying, "Brother and Sister So-and-so, you've been selected to be the sacrament meeting celebrity on March 26!!! Congratulations!!!"

But of course the real celebrity of sacrament meeting is Jesus Christ, not the speaker. So shame on me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

I feel the same way about speaking in Church or teaching a lesson. I always think that whatever I said didn't make any sense. I know the Spirit has more to do with carrying my message than my speaking skills, but I usually get complements. But like you, I never remember them, so I'm a complete basketcase every time I talk.

Monday, March 13, 2006 10:35:00 AM  
Blogger Lady Steed said...

I don't think I've ever heard you give a talk before Miss Hass...

So do you get really nervous when you are standing in front of your class teaching Espanol?

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger Katya said...

Perhaps it would be easier for the bishopric to convince people to speak in sacrament meetings if, instead of saying, "Brother and Sister So-and-so, how would you like to speak in church in two weeks?", trying, "Brother and Sister So-and-so, you've been selected to be the sacrament meeting celebrity on March 26!!! Congratulations!!!"

Ah, but that presupposes that one wants celebrity status to begin with. I'm fine with speaking in church, but I have a mortal fear of being a celebrity. (And now that you've made the connection . . . I may develop a mortal fear of speaking in church.)

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 1:31:00 PM  
Blogger Nemesis said...

Are you kidding? I love me some church talking. (Possibly because I love being in front of people doing something I'm actually good at like talking--instead of something I'm rubbish at like singing or sports-playing)

I was in my England ward nearly 5 months before they asked me to talk, but just as soon as I did people suddenly felt like it was okay to introduce themselves and start inviting me to dinner.

So I say bring it on.

Thursday, March 16, 2006 5:35:00 AM  
Blogger Lady Steed said...

Nem. I too have noticed that more people are coming up and saying 'hello and good job on your talk, I really enjoyed it.' One sister even told me that her mind didn't wander even once during the meeting because our talks were so interesting. I thought that was a really nice compliment.

No dinner invites yet, but maybe soon.

Katya. But the point is that you only get to be a celebrity for that one Sunday, because next Sunday it will be someone else's turn. Your celebrity status will be gone by next sacrament meeting,though hopefully, as Nem pointed out, people will start inviting you todinner.

Thursday, March 16, 2006 3:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home