Monday, February 27, 2006

Final Preparations

Today, February 27th, I made some final preparations for the Month of Abject Poverty Theric and I will be commencing on March 1st. By ‘preparations’ I mean spending large sums of money on purchases that will not be allowed during said Month of Abject Poverty.

I started off the morning buying Fiesta ware. I was flipping through my Betty Crocker catalog over breakfast, not intending to buy anything, when I saw indications in said catalog that they still had Fiesta ware pieces in the color Sea Mist! This is my favorite color and was retired by the manufacturer at the beginning of 2005. I called the 1-800 number and ordered some bowls, serving platters, and serving dishes I had been wanting. I completed the order, basked in the feeling of consumption, and then finished my breakfast.

After breakfast I got online to read some blogs, check email etc. I thought I would go over to the Betty Crocker website to request a catalog for my mother-in-law. While on the website I noticed an announcement for a Clearance Sale. A sale not mentioned in my catalog. I clicked and perused the offerings—more Fiesta ware! Happy Pumpkin! A pattern I had been wanting a few pieces of for Halloween (my favorite holiday). These pieces were on clearance, half off! And they too will be retired at the end of the year! Ahh! I got out my credit card clicked and typed all the right spots, then basked in some more consumer-related endorphins. Mmmmm.

Next the Big O and I got in the car to go do some recycling and buy some oatmeal. But instead we ended up at Target. Where many pretty things had just been marked down with their lovely little red stickers. I wandered the aisles checking out the red stickers, made my selections, and then went through the checkout, a slight feeling of guilt on me. But then the purchase was over and I felt better again.

We arrived home. I looked at my Target purchases. I tried some of them out. My feelings of guilt increased. What would Theric think of me?! Is this any way to act before the Month of Abject Poverty?! I quickly packed the items back up. When Theric got home from work I confessed all. Theric was not mad though seemed slightly overwhelmed.

Tomorrow I will go and return most of the Target items. I hope then that my feelings of guilt will dissipate.

I have bad feelings about this Month of Abject Poverty.

7 Comments:

Blogger Nemesis said...

Mmm . . . love Target. You should talk to Miss Hass and ask how much she generally spends on a Target run. Then you won't feel so guilty anymore.

And hey, you can just look at it as the Mardi Gras before Lent (also known as The Month of Abject Poverty).

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 2:37:00 AM  
Blogger FoxyJ said...

I love those little red tags at Target. I always buy things because they're on sale, then get home and realize that I probably didn't need them and that they weren't that great of a deal, but I'm too lazy to take them back.

And, I'm with Nemesis on the whole Mardi Gras thing. Lent doesn't start until tomorrow, after all.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 10:38:00 AM  
Blogger Lady Steed said...

Nem & Foxy

Thanks for the Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday rationalization. I feel much better now. Today I will run out and buy some of the items I didn't get at Target yesterday, and feel ok about. Whew!

The whole Month of Abject Poverty was theric's idea, but I wondered if he knew we would be starting it at the same time as Lent?

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 10:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFL!!! I can kind of relate to The Month of Abject Poverty . Since we're close to buying a house, and our bank account seems lower than it has ever been in our married lives, we're trying to be pretty spend thrifty. However, my downfall tends to lean toward food (not even eating out...just balanced eating) since I get a little cranky if I don't eat well.

It is hard though to pass up things you really want and don't know if you'll ever find it again...and on clearance! That's a tough one for anyone.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 5:06:00 PM  
Blogger Th. said...

.

On the school computers, you get some gobbledygoop between paragraphs. I've been thinking about it and I've reached a conclusion: Writing your posts in Word first puts that there.

Suggestion: After copypasting into Blogger, delete the gaps between paragraphs and then put them back in.

Thursday, March 02, 2006 9:01:00 AM  
Blogger Cricket said...

I get the gobbledeegoop here too (FYI)

I feel your pain Lady Steed, I feel it...

Thursday, March 02, 2006 12:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah spending money you don't have...

yeah i must say i have been much better about that as of late. it's more like The year of Abject Poverty for me

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 9:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home