Saturday, March 04, 2006

Month of Abject Poverty:Report One

The Month of Abject Poverty is off to a shaky start.

March 1st: No purchases of unallowed items. Good.

March 2nd: Big O and I went to Tehachapi. Through great restraint did not purchase favorite cookies (Nuss Eken) from Kohnen's Country Bakery. Whew.

March 3rd: In Tehachapi for the day went home late afternoon. Attended first session of Stake Women's Conference. No unallowed purchasing. Excellent.

March 4th: Attended rest of Women's Conference with V. , my sister-in-law. At the end of the meeting V. asked if I would mind if she stopped at Target so she could pick up some picture frames. I panicked. My mind said, NO! Don’t do it! You are weak! But my mouth said, No problem. Big mistake. Up until this point I was doing well. I knew Target would be a temptation but I felt I could handle it. (Never mind that I knew putting myself in a Target was like putting a hungry monkey in a barrel of bananas and telling him not to eat any bananas. Hah! You know that monkey is going to chow down till he bursts. Silly monkey.) I was just going to help V. pick out some picture frames and then show her the clearance areas in the Lancaster Target. Simple. But I just couldn't help myself; I had to look through the merchandise. How could I not?!

V. asked my opinion on throw pillows, sheets and drapes (she's decorating her apartment). It was so fun to help her find stuff. I was just picking out some window panels for her when I saw this beautiful shade of pale sage green. Oooo! I said, “Pretty..... I picked up the package Cashmere Throw. Lovely...I love this color. I opened the package and the true seduction began. Oh my goodness. This is so soft.... mmmmm. I looked at the price. Could that be right?! Wow V. look. Marked down to $7.50 from $30.00!Amazing! V. made an effort to talk me out of it (she knows about the Month of Abject Poverty) but I could tell she really didn't want to; the girl knows a deal when she sees one. I carried the throw around for the rest of our time in the Target. Soon it was time to leave and before I knew it I was standing outside with the throw in a Target bag, bought and paid for. The seduction and consumation was complete...How did that happen? When we got back to the apartment I quickly went to the bedroom and put the bag under the bed. Theric still doesn't know about it, but now he will. Sorry love. I am weak.

Further weakness: Threic, Big O and I went out to dinner with Theric's parents and grandmother tonight. If they had not dropped by unexpectedly we would not have gone, but it seemed rude to not accompany them to dinner. And we couldn’t really ask them to pay for us. So we went to Marie Callendar's. We bought a pie. (It’s the last day of Pie Month! How could we not? We love pie!) We had a tasty dinner. We are experiencing slight indigestion due to feelings of failure.

We resolve to do better next week.

9 Comments:

Blogger Th. said...

.

(sighs)

Sunday, March 05, 2006 2:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok. Lady. I just have to quote an earlier post of yours really quickly.

My BFA project was all about consumerism and how Americans are obsessed by buying stuff and derive meaning for their lives from the items they buy—shopping as a spiritual quest. “Have I become this?” I wondered as a placed the 400th book in a box. Then I remembered how I do not enjoy shopping.

I think you are very much in denial. You may not enjoy the mall, but you are a total SUCKER for Target (as well as vintage stores...). I mean, who can blame you with all the great sales they have?? And in the colors you love??

I think to remedy this you should look at your BFA project 5-10 min. every day chanting "I will not become this...I will not become this.." Maybe it will help you follow more closely the Month of Abject Poverty. =)

Sunday, March 05, 2006 3:10:00 PM  
Blogger Th. said...

.

This is really good advice. I will immediately clear some wallspace so we can hang them up.

Also, as an added bonus, everyone who visits will see them and know how cool I am (since you're in my apartment and everything).

Sunday, March 05, 2006 4:52:00 PM  
Blogger Melyngoch said...

I just think you both -- i.e., LS and th. -- should know that my sister and I have picked up on your brilliant idea/shamelessly plagiarized right out from under your noses, and are having our own Month of Abject Poverty.

Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?

Sunday, March 05, 2006 5:54:00 PM  
Blogger Lady Steed said...

Silly Girl
Deep down I know that I have become what I most fear and despise.....thanks for the extra dose of guilt.

melyngoch
I'm ok with your plagarism of the Month of Abject Poverty. I wish you luck and recommend that you and your sister decide what will be allowed purchases and not allowed purchases. For theric and I allowed purchases include: milk, bread and cheese. Not allowed purchases: dvd's,eating out, and new clothes.

Let us know how you do.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 9:14:00 PM  
Blogger Th. said...

.

Melyns---

And may you do better than we have....

(Lady Steed!)

Sunday, March 05, 2006 9:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lady,

I'm just trying to help you find a remedy for this apparent problem. =)

We too are having our own month of abject poverty (though we are not calling it that.) I'm foregoing hair cuts, non-staple food items, clothing, and my one day a week break from cooking (i.e. eating out somewhere for under $10 for the two of us...)

Good luck in your endeavor. It's hard when you grow accustomed to a certain way of life and then have to put the brakes on suddenly...

Sunday, March 05, 2006 10:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Never mind that I knew putting myself in a Target was like putting a hungry monkey in a barrel of bananas and telling him not to eat any bananas. Hah! You know that monkey is going to chow down till he bursts. Silly monkey"

hahahahahaha!

so, i want to know what the details and rules are for this month...

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 10:12:00 PM  
Blogger Katria said...

You've inspired me. I, too, must try this.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 9:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home