Thursday, March 09, 2006

Beautiful Shards

Warning: What follows is a rant from Lady Steed. Please excuse me while I rant a while.

My Fiesta ware arrived yesterday. I was excited, and a bit amused at the two huge boxes that arrived. Then less amused when I noticed one of the boxes had a hole at the bottom.

The first box I opened had the Halloween pieces I ordered; they are so cute! I can't wait till Halloween to use them.

On to the next box--the Sea Mist pieces. This was the box with the hole and the larger of the two. The actual dimensions: 22.75in x 13.5in x 16.25in high, this was a large box. I opened it--packing peanuts. Arrgh! I dug through the peanuts and pulled out a medium sized box, a smaller box, then another, then a stack of something wrapped in bubble wrap, then another wider stack wrapped in bubble wrap. The second stack was noisy and limp, not a good sign.

Amazingly the fruit bowls (a stack of four, each separated with a piece of paper, wrapped with bubble wrap) were each in one piece. Sadly the 2 serving platters were in many pieces. They too were only wrapped in bubble wrap. Two of the serving bowls were fine, the other cracked right down the middle. I was most upset. These pieces were all in Sea Mist! A color Homer Laughlin is no longer making! Each piece is now a collectors item! What a tragedy!

One would think that the Betty Crocker catalog, which has been in existence for many years, would know by now how to ship breakables so they do not break! From my order, a third of it was ruined! You can't run a mail-order business if one third of each shipment you send arrives to the customer destroyed! Then you have to replace each destroyed item! How is that profitable?

All of these items were in this big box together with just packing peanuts as protection. Obviously during transit the box would get tossed around a little and all things inside, since there was lots of extra room, would bang into each other! And then of course break! Why didn't they use a smaller box?! Or just ship each item individually? WHY!? WHY?!

Fortunately they are sending me replacements for the broken pieces.

I just hope they pack them better.

On a happier note: The Big O had a great time playing with the packing peanuts. Then he had even more fun trying to clean up his mess with his little vacuum. Those peanuts kept him occupied for at least an hour--it was great!

3 Comments:

Blogger Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Absolutely unbelievable and tragic. That darn Betty Crocker. *shakes fist in the air repeatedly*

Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:29:00 PM  
Blogger Th. said...

.

Maybe you should go into mosaics....

Friday, March 10, 2006 7:53:00 AM  
Blogger Lady Steed said...

I thought about maling a mosaics as I tossed the broken bits in the dumpster. But then realized broken peices of tile etc are probably not the best things to have around when there is a Big O.

Friday, March 10, 2006 2:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home