Thursday, April 06, 2006

New Glasses.....

I hope most of you have already been to Theric's blog and read about our new glasses. If not, please go there and read his post on this topic first.

What Theric said about my old pair of glasses is true. They were perfect.

Never have I owned such a pair of glasses. A pair of glasses that I was truly excited to put on every morning and wear all day. A pair that complemented my hair and my face. They were perfect.

When I picked them out oh so many years ago (I was still on my parents insurance!) I balked at the price. As did my mother. I feared to even try them on because, if I remember correctly, they were priced at $250 !!!!!!

They were Kenneth Cole. Plastic, reddish brown, almond shaped frames.

They looked nice, plus I admired and desired highly to own Kenneth Cole shoes. Eyeglass frames, though not quite as exciting as shoes, might quelch my desire for his shoes, I thought. I put them on my face and fell in love with them. My Mom loved them too. But we did not love the price tag.

They were pretty much the only frame at the optometrist that I liked though, so I felt kind of stuck. Do I go with a frame that is ok or do I beg my Mom to pay the cost difference for a pair of frames that I love?

And then the lady there that helps customers with the picking out and adjusting of glasses frames took one look at me in them and said " Wow! Those frames were made for you!" Now she might say that to everyone, but she sounded pretty sincere to me, so my mother and I were convinced and Mom bought them.

Thinking back they really could not have been $250, it was probably more like $150. Still, that's a lot when all through my life my Mother always told me I could not pick put a frame that exceeded what was covered by our Insurance. Usually that was about $40 or $50. So asking Mom to cover the rest out of pocket was a big deal.

Once I started wearing them I would get comments on them at least once a month. This was truly novel to me as I had never ever received compliments on my eyeglasses. I have worn glasses since second grade. I switched to contacts sometime in high school because I was tried of feeling ugly all of the time. Getting rid of the glasses really boosted my self image. But during my sophomore year of college I decided I would like to have a pair of glasses that I really liked. A pair to wear when I didn't feel like dealing with my contacts. I asked my Mother if this would be ok and the next time I came home she took me to our optometrist's to pick out some new frames.

When I started wearing these new Kenneth Cole frames I hadn't been wearing glasses at all for about four years. So to be switching back and forth felt like a luxury, plus I looked great in these new frames.

I quickly switched to wearing my glasses almost all the time because I loved the Kenneth Cole frames so much.

It has been asked why I would give up such perfect frames. Good question. I actually am now wondering that myself. But there is a good reason.

Besides the fact that I had to get new glasses (my prescription had changed ever so slightly) the perfect frames were getting very worn. They are plastic you see, and plastic can start to change colors and degrade when worn everyday next to skin for six-plus years. The Kenneth Coles were discolored in a few places and they were beginning to feel a little bit fragile. So, new frames were definitely in order.

Theric and I were very excited to go to our optometry appointment. We were very excited to choose new frames. But my excitement waned when I realized this office had no frames similar to my perfect ones. In fact I was very disappointed overall with the selection.

But,I got it narrowed down to two that I liked ok. Theric could not choose between them, nor could I. So I asked the lady who was assisting us for her opinion, and I went with the pair she thought looked best. (I tried to find a picture of them to post, but every time I found a place that said they were selling Brooks Brothers 657 they had no photo available....strange.)

As you know, we went yesterday (Wed. April 5th) to go pick up our new glasses. I put my new pair on and things looked so....crisp and clean....it was unnerving. Plus they felt weird. The girl working adjusted the fit a little bit for me. They felt a little better but not quite right. I looked at myself in the mirror and hated what I saw.

I did not like these new glasses. I started to get a headache.

I complained about them the rest of the evening: "They made my face look fat! They make me look old! These were meant for men!I look like I have a square face!" And other various complaints.

I did not like these glasses.

The headache was worse, they felt crooked and they kept sliding down my nose. It was infuriating. The world looked askew and I felt sick. I was very depressed.

"I'm wearing my old glasses!" I declared. But Theric would not allow me to and said I had to give the new ones at least a week before deciding to get new ones. (Ha! As if we can even afford new ones! These were not cheap.) And that I should go back to the office to get them re-fit.

I had them re-fit this morning.

The world looks better, my headache is gone.

Perhaps these new frames aren't so bad after all.

8 Comments:

Blogger Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I just found out I have a little money to burn from my New Haven insurance before I leave at the end of the month. So, tomorrow for my birthday I think I will try to find me a new pair of glasses as well as order new contacts. I got these glasses 5 years ago, and I have to agree, the styles and prices of glasses now are not NEARLY as good looking as they used to be.

I'm glad the re-fitting helped alleviate the tension you were feeling. The purple really is a nice compliment to your hair. =)

Thursday, April 06, 2006 6:56:00 PM  
Blogger FoxyJ said...

I really did admire your old glasses, and I partly was inspired by you in picking my latest pair of frames. They were hard to get used to at first--I think any big change usually requires some sort of a period of mourning for what we used to have. I don't do change well at all--today I finally acknowledged to Master Fob that I really do enjoy having a digital camera, now that it's taken me a year to get used to it. Anyways, good luck with the new frames. After a few years without contacts, I actually don't mind just wearing glasses.

Thursday, April 06, 2006 8:14:00 PM  
Blogger Katria said...

Price tag on my specs: $300. Ouch. I think prices have gone up.

Thursday, April 06, 2006 8:30:00 PM  
Blogger Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Also, how is it that Brother Steed escaped with 20/20 vision when YOU started wearing glasses so young?! Hopefully our kids will take after him since I, myself, started needing glasses in 4th grade and wearing them in 5th.

Thursday, April 06, 2006 10:00:00 PM  
Blogger B.G. Christensen said...

I am curious now because I cannot imagine a Lady Steed without her perfect Kenneth Cole glasses. The picture Th. posted of you in your new specs was... interesting. I hope you come to like these at least almost as much.

Friday, April 07, 2006 9:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wore glasses for the decade between my 3rd and 13th years. My mother always picked out what I considered to be the ugliest glasses ever. Now I kind of want some hip glasses. I bet your new ones are cute.

Also, I had to wear an eyepatch when I was three. Just call me "Lazy Eye Leata".

Friday, April 07, 2006 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger Lady Steed said...

Silly Marie
Happy Birthday!! So sorry I failed to send you a card. Hope you had fun getting new specs on your bday.
And Brother Steed is just lucky I guess. I have always been jealous of his 20/20 vision.

Foxy
Yes change is hard...painful even.

rachel
300!! oh my goodness. the total for both mine and Theric's came close to that, but to pay that for one pair!

Master Fob
It's hard to look at myself without my Kenneth Cole glasses. Just so you know,my new ones are not nearly as exciting as the ones Theric showed you.In fact my mother in law didn't even noticed that I had gotten new glasses, that's how unexciting these new frames are.

Leata
Really! Your mother always picked out the frames? How sad for you. My mother always had a big influence but I got choose the frames I wanted, from the ones that fit in the price range.
I highly recomened getting a new hip pair. That way when you don't want to deal with contacts, you'll have some frames you really like to wear instead.
"Lazy Eye Leata" sounds like a good Pirate name. Arrrr!

Friday, April 07, 2006 3:37:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

I desperately need new glasses, but I'm waiting until that rich guy comes along to sweep me off my feet and buy them. Or my mom.

Saturday, April 08, 2006 3:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home