Friday, May 08, 2009

What?!

Check this out, it's kind of funny.
.
.
.
.
Can you believe that!? There are people out there that think Mormons inventend Wingdings?!! If there are poeple out there that believe that, I am truly perplexed and worried about what else people might believe about Mormons.

In case you didn't read the comments on that blog I'll let you know that the questioner probably got Wingdings mixed up with the Deseret Alphabet--which Mormons did invent. I wrote a research paper on the Deseret Alphabet back in college and also worked as a research assistant for a professor that was studying the Deseret Alphabet. It was really interesting. And while I never really learned how to read Deseret fluently, I did learn enough to transcribe quite a few letters written by the early Saints to Brigham Young.

In the end the Deseret Alphabet was abandoned. Which, I think was best and inevitable. From a typographical standpoint the letterforms themselves had many problems that made them difficult to learn and become comfortable with. Despite Brigham Young's efforts, we Mormons read and write in the language with which we are most familiar. For me, that'd be English.
Though I do happen to think the Deseret Alphabet is pretty cool looking, much cooler than Wingdings.

1 Comments:

Blogger Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Hu. I've never even heard of Deseret Alphabet. That's pretty funny though. It really is odd to hear what people accredit to Mormons.

Friday, May 08, 2009 9:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home