Thursday, November 06, 2008

Halloween Tragedy

Halloween was great, except for one major (to me) tragedy.

Brace yourself:



(Do you see it? These glasses, my glasses, they are now missing one of their arms.)

Isn't that horrible!!! How did it happen, you ask?

Well, I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I kneeled on them. Yup, my fault. As you learned from the last post, I have worn glasses since the second grade; I know how to take care of a pair of glasses! I have never damaged a pair in all that time! How could I let this happen?

I can only attribute it to exhaustion/excitement/sugar coma caused by my favorite holiday, Halloween.

As I was getting ready for bed that night, I removed my glasses before taking my shirt off, and placed them on the bed, instead of in their proper place which would be the nightstand. On the bed, off my top, into bed. I felt something strange under my knee and instantly realizes what I had done. CRAP!

All the pieces were intact, but none of them looked right. Everything was skewed. I couldn't even put them back on my face. It was bad. Horrible even.

The next morning, Saturday, we went to the optometrist shop next to the Trader Joe's. Theric had been there the week before and they were kind enough to fix a loose peice on his frames, free of charge. I walked in and showed the ladies at the front desk my glasses, they both said, "Oh wow!! That's bad!! How did you DO that!?" It was clearly one of the worst cases they has seen. They called for the resident glasses-fixing expert and he too was quite shocked. "What did you DO!?" I explained the embarassing story, making sure to teach the moral (always put your glasses away in the right place.) Everyone thanked me for my honesty, which I found odd. Apparently people make up ridiculous stories about how their glasses got damaged instead of telling the truth, like: I sat on them.

The glasses-expert told me he would try his best to fix them, but he did not feel confident that he would be able to do so. I waited about ten minutes. He came out with my glasses and they looked OK. Certainly better than when I walked in with them. He warned me to not fold the arms in since the metal hinges had been bent and to do so would strain the metal more, probably causing it to break, and the arm would fall off. He put them on my face, but they were very crooked. He did his best to adjust this, but couldn't get it quite right. I told him it was fine, thanked him profusely, then left the shop.

I could see now, this was good (I had still had my last pair of glasses and had been wearing them in the meantime, but my perscription hads changed a bit, so things had looked a touch blurry), but everything felt off kilter--wonky. I was dizzy and not at all stable. I made it to the car. Took the glasses off, to take a little break from the wonkiness, then put them, very carefully, back on. Then I heard a little snap and the right arm fell into my lap.

"Oh NO!" But then, suddenly, everything was balanced again, not wonky! Problem solved! So I have been wearing my glasses, but I have only one arm on them. While I can see fine, the glasses tend to slip down my nose much more often than when the glasses had two arms. And, my left ear hurts in the back where the remaining arm grips.

It's been interesting, and kind of funny, to see how long it takes people to notice that my glasses are damaged. Some people have yet to notice it, others notice it pretty quickly after they start talking with me, "Oh no! Lady Steed! Your glasses are broken! What happened?!" I should have been keeping score between those who wear glasses and those who don't, to see who noticed more often. I wonder if some have noticed but not said anything, thinking that maybe it's some new style of glasses--me being such a trendy gal and all.

Today I noticed that the other arm seems to be getting a bit lose so it looks like I'll be needing to get a new pair soon.

I just hope my search for a new pair goes better than last time.

6 Comments:

Blogger FoxyJ said...

I will admit that I noticed and politely didn't say anything. I don't usually say things to people, but maybe I should try it some time. Good luck finding new glasses!
One time my mom accidentally wore hers into the ocean at the beach and lost them forever. The worst part was that the only temporary replacement she had was a pair of prescription sunglasses. That got her a lot of funny looks, especially when she was playing the organ at church the next day.

Sunday, November 09, 2008 10:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a long time wearer of glasses myself, I totally feel your pain.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:14:00 PM  
Blogger Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

We just upped our eye coverage for next year. Our current plan only lets me get glasses every other year. The new one lets me get them every year. Dean takes my glasses probably 10 times a day and tries to eat and twist and bend them. These glasses were new this year and are already stretched out.

Hope you can find some good new glasses that don't give you headaches!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:59:00 PM  
Blogger Marianna said...

It's a good thing I don't wear glasses, I know I'd never be able to find them. I never spend more than $10 on sunglasses it doesn't take long before I either loose them or they get so scratched I can no longer see out of them.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 8:55:00 PM  
Blogger Audra said...

I am a little late on this, but I agree... it is a tragety! I don't wear glasses all the time, I am a contacts woman because since I am without a nose bridge wearing glasses for more than a few days hurts... but at the same time finsing flattering glasses is hard as well for the same reason. I had some glasses I LOVED and lost them somewhere in my mom's house in Williamsburg as she was moving and have not seen them since (cry)!

Monday, December 08, 2008 4:27:00 AM  
Blogger Mizike said...

I've been meaning to try this place out, but haven't needed a new pair of glasses for a while. A friend recommended it.

http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 1:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home