Sunday, January 21, 2007

There’s something in there . . . .


On Thursday I finally went to go see a medical professional regarding my pregnancy. And I am very pleased to announce that there is something with a heart beat growing in my tummy. I don't know exactly what it is yet, but based on prior experience, and biology, I will guess that it is not an alien baby nor a lizard baby but, in fact, a real human baby! I hope my guess is right. Imagine my shock when they hand me a small scaly creature on the day I give birth!

I am now entering my second trimester. Nausea is pretty much gone. For the last week or two I have been feeling like a normal person again. I can now eat food. I want to get out of bed. I shower and leave the house. It's great! Of course feeling normal again led me to wonder if maybe I wasn't really pregnant. Perhaps the two positive pregnancy tests were false positives. Perhaps I so badly wanted to be pregnant I had made myself sick for the last three months and also made my period disappear! They say the brain is a powerful thing. I was beginning to wonder if I had created a psychosomatic pregnancy or, even worse, I had been pregnant but the baby was dead.

Part of the reason I had not been to see a doctor was because we have no insurance (this problem has now been handled) and because for some completely ridiculous reason I was having a hard time finding a midwife. In Berkeley. I know it's unbelievable, but it's true. No one I knew used midwives and all the midwives I did find only did home births. Eventually I found this midwife in the phone book. I found some reviews of her online and perused her website. She sounded like the one for me. We saw her last Thursday and I think she's a great fit.

She's been practicing for 20 years and specializes in VBACs. We discussed my last birth and she weighed me and measured my uterus. She figured out a due date, June 18th (my birthday), and says I seem to be right on track. Whew! She was even able to barely touch my tummy and feel the hips of whatever is inside.

But the best thing about going to the midwife was hearing the heartbeat and knowing that there was indeed something alive growing in my tummy.

I can now blame the past three months of misery on someone else.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On Theric?

Monday, January 22, 2007 6:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh....I've always sort of wanted to give birth to a puppy. I like puppies a whole lot. And I like your baby, and I think I'll like your next baby, I'm just not so sure of having one of my own.

I'm glad you're feeling better!

Monday, January 22, 2007 8:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've lurked on your site for a little bit, but I wanted to congratulate you on your pregnancy. Glad all is going well...and am especially glad that the nausea has made itself scarce. Good luck with the next few months!

Monday, January 22, 2007 10:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That picture's actually kind of cute! Congrats on finding a midwife and I'm already crossing my fingers that your VBAC experience goes well. I know a woman who had five VBACS, so it can be done.

Monday, January 22, 2007 10:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your picture! the Spozo called our Dude an Alien for most of the pregnancy (either that or "parasite")

both were accurate descriptions - and in a certain sense, still are. =)

Monday, January 22, 2007 9:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home