Friday, January 26, 2007

Hide it!

Theric is hiding things from me.

Over the course of this week I have found a four items whose purchasing were never mentioned to me.

I'm not quite sure what to think about this. I'm not angry or displeased, just...flummoxed?

The items have not really been hidden--when Theric wants to hide something he can hide it. No, rather these items were put away in a place that is proper for them.

They do say that the best hiding place is one out in the open.

Perhaps he thought I would not notice them and just assume they had been there all along. I am not that type of person, I notice when something new enters my realm.

The one item that made me laugh out loud was a book. Theric is often bringing home books and quietly adding them to the bookshelf. Usually these books are from the free box at the library, so at least they don't cost us anything, though we are running out of room for books. Some boys bring home stray puppies, Theric brings home orphaned books.

Anyways, I found the newest book on the shelf in his nightstand. I was dusting, not snooping. The book was not a free book from the library. In fact I had pointed this book out to him about three weeks ago when we were at a bookstore buying a calender. It was his sort of book and I asked him if he had seen it before. I do not remember his response, but I do remember that we did not buy it.

So, my question now is, did he not buy that book that day because he had already purchased it without telling me? Or did he buy it later?

Most often, after books, Theric purchases foodstuffs. Two of my discoveries this week were food.
He usually purchases foreign dark chocolate or interesting cookies. He brings these purchases home and quietly puts them away in the cupboard. I either notice them in the cupboard a few days later and say, "Hey! What's this?" or I notice him eating something that I do not recall purchasing and say, "Hey! What are you eating? Is it good? Can I have some?" I have begun to expect these purchases whenever I send him out to do some shopping without me.

That leaves the last hidden purchase, a CD. A CD that he bought used, while I was away for the weekend at my mother's. A CD we both wanted but which Theric wanted more.

I'm fine with this. However, I am noticing that the hidden purchases are slowing changing. They are no longer just food. So, my question is, what will I find next?

5 Comments:

Blogger Th. said...

.


DEFENSE:

.

"Theric is hiding things from me."

Arguable.

"The items have not really been hidden--when Theric wants to hide something he can hide it. No, rather these items were put away in a place that is proper for them."

Ergo, you are about to praise me?

"Perhaps he thought I would not notice them and just assume they had been there all along. I am not that type of person, I notice when something new enters my realm."

This is very true and a constant source of flummox to me.

"Anyways, I found the newest book on the shelf in his nightstand. I was dusting, not snooping. The book was not a free book from the library. In fact I had pointed this book out to him about three weeks ago when we were at a bookstore buying a calender. It was his sort of book and I asked him if he had seen it before. I do not remember his response, but I do remember that we did not buy it.

"So, my question now is, did he not buy that book that day because he had already purchased it without telling me? Or did he buy it later?"

I had no choice but to buy this book. I knew I wanted it and was wondering when I would buy it, then I saw it at Comic Relief (I was there for totally innocent reasons) last December signed by Harvey Pekar and the series's general editor. What else could I have done?

"That leaves the last hidden purchase, a CD. A CD that he bought used, while I was away for the weekend at my mother's. A CD we both wanted but which Theric wanted more."

You will recall I went to Mod Lang to get something for you. Picking this up was a consolation prize.

"I'm fine with this. However, I am noticing that the hidden purchases are slowing changing. They are no longer just food. So, my question is, what will I find next?"

I don't know. I must admit there are a few things I'm surprised you haven't noticed yet....

Not that you should go looking.

Love,

Theric.

Friday, January 26, 2007 4:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want someone to buy interesting cookies and hide them in my cupboard.

Friday, January 26, 2007 9:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He has told you about the new car, right?

Friday, January 26, 2007 9:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's hope you find a maid hiding in the broom closet one of these days...

Friday, January 26, 2007 10:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've done this same thing once or twice. Once when I was buying Matt's b-day CD's I just happened to buy myself a CD. (But in my defense, it's the only CD I've purchased for myself since '97.) I didn't tell him since it was his birthday and I was buying myself something; he noticed it about a month later.

Monday, January 29, 2007 9:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home