Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Teeth Week


Last week was a teeth week for the Thteeds. Each of us, except for Large S, visited the dentist.
But the Large S's first two teeth became visible last week--so it really was all about the teeth last week.

Hooray for teeth!

It was the Big O's first visit ever. And it did not go well. He didn't even want to get in the dentist chair and go up and down! I had to wrestle him into my lap while I sat on it--not fun. He wouldn't even look at the hygienist. He hid his face in his shoulder. She was trying so hard too, it was embarrassing for me. She was talking in silly voices, making balloon people out of the latex gloves, being generally goofy, all effort to get Big O to be comfortable and let her count his teeth. She did a great job and clearly is experienced with children, so it must work with some kids, just not mine. It was so frustrating because he has been to the office a few times before this, just to get comfortable with the whole place. We had even spent a lot of time talking about this visit, he even wore his dinosaur shirt especially so the dentist could count the T-Rex's teeth too. He knew what was going to happen and even seemed excited by it but as soon as they wanted to count his teeth, he wanted nothing to do with them. Argh.

I scheduled another appointment for him in October but I am thinking about canceling it since I think it will turn out pretty much just like this one did and frankly, I don't want to waste my money again.

Theric and I however, we were very well behaved for the dentist. We sat right in the chair and did what we were told, even without latex-glove dinosaurs. We opened wide and moved our tongues and let the spit sucker suck our spit.

They even gave us presents for being good--he got a toothbrush and I got melon-flavored tooth rub.

Money well spent.

3 Comments:

Blogger Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

It makes me think of the dentist episode on the Cosby show.

Maybe role playing with him would help? Play dentist with him? Let him be the dentist and check your teeth, then have you be the dentist and check his. I don't know if it would work, but it couldn't hurt, right?

Good luck with that though.

Did Large S's teeth come in at the same time or staggered a little?

Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From talking with other moms at church and preschool, Big O's dentist behavior is not unusual. In fact, I think it's pretty usual. N went to the dentist for the fourth time at the end of March, and it was the first time he's ever let them do anything besides take x-rays and look at his teeth - look, mind you, not touch. And I think we only made it through all the actual cleaning and stuff because A) it was his fourth time, B) I didn't have little sister with me so it was all about him, and C) I promised him a toy that cost $10 or less that he got to choose from Target (but we actually ended up at Five Little Monkeys). And when it got to the cleaning part with the electric toothbrush, it took me and the hygenist a good 5-10 minutes to convince him to open his mouth - and I had to remind him several times about getting the toy (or not getting it if he didn't do what she was asking).

All this to say, I'm sorry it was a rotten time but don't give up, yet!

Thursday, April 10, 2008 1:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Ed McGoldrick said...

My three-year-old-daughter's first visit to the dentist didn't turned out pretty well for her as well, with all the stuff working on her little teeth and gums. But it gradually changed on the second visit because she was excited to see the cartoons on the TV hanging on the ceiling. She even got some goodies for behaving well this time. I guess all I and the dentist in Colorado Springs, CO needed was a little pink dinosaur-designed toothbrush.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home