Wednesday, August 01, 2007

All Work and No Play

breastfeeding in the open airIt's been ten days since my last post and though, yes, I have been reading Harry Potter, that is not the reason ten days have passed without a post. Theric's post pretty much lets you know why I have been unable to post for ten days:

Yep. My b**bs hurt.

I have a mild case of mastitis that will just not go away. Fortunately, although it's kept me in bed and away from the computer, it has not gotten really bad--I so do not want to go and have a drain put in my breast.

*shiver*

Anyway, since Theric is already on the subject of b**bs, I wanted to speak up and share some thoughts and observations regarding my own.

So. I began nursing. And then, suddenly, the b**bs were no longer something I felt much need to be modest about. After all, they are no longer a recreational adornment, now they have a Grand, Utilitarian Purpose--feeding my baby--and thus are tools only and as such, not something to be embarrassed about. I don't think much about them hanging out of my robe as I walk around our nearly curtain-free house. Don't care much if a stranger gets a glance at them while I'm nursing--what have I to be embarrassed about? These things have a purpose people! They're not just here to stare at! These are not sex objects--no no!--they are tools to provide nourishment! And I'm glad to be putting them to their proper use.

True, they are currently causing me pain and other troubles, and after they have finished serving their true purpose they will have changed somewhat in shape and feel, but overall that's OK. I'm a little sad about it, but mostly I'm just glad to know that these ridiculous mounds of flesh I've been carrying around for years and which seemed to have no other purpose than to arouse boys (which, by the way, was never worth the discomfort of wearing a bra) will have fulfilled their most elemental purpose. This makes my relationship with them much healthier.

But you know what? Despite all this "fulfillment"--and while I endorse breastfeeding just as highly as Dr. M. A. Malien--there are still times when I just plain wish I wasn't the one with the b**bs.

9 Comments:

Blogger B.G. Christensen said...

I don't think Theric would look good with b**bs.

Thursday, August 02, 2007 9:07:00 AM  
Blogger Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

ouch.

And I agree about the whole boobs as a tool should not be offensive. I remember when I lived in UT there was a big hubbub about a woman breastfeeding in a restaurant (possibly without a blanket, but I'm not sure)and getting kicked out for indecent exposure. Stupid.

On the flip side, it was an odd moment in Guatemala when I looked up to see a gigantic boob with a baby going in to latch portrayed on a billboard advocating breast feeding. Not offensive, just interesting to note the cultural differences and perceptions.

Thursday, August 02, 2007 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger Lady Steed said...

Mr.Fob: Yeah, Theric probably wouldn't look good with b**bs.

silly: I think it's all cultural this idea some have that nursing in public is somehow scandalous. Your example of the billboard is perfect.

Thursday, August 02, 2007 12:40:00 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Sorry for barging in. I'm not exactly sure how I stumbled upon your blog. I think your husband and I read some of the same blogs or something.

Anyway, I have 3 kids and have had mastitis at least 30 separate times. Seriously. My OB's always want to prescribe antibiotics which gets old really fast. I've talked to a million lactation consultants (none who could ever help) and finally found a Doctor who does nothing but breastfeeding this last time around. She finally gave me some great ideas that actually helped. Sage tea (it's herbal) works wonders and I'm not usually an herbal remedy kind of girl.

You may be feeling better by now, but if not or if you get it again and want any tips, feel free to stop by!!!

Thursday, August 02, 2007 5:10:00 PM  
Blogger FoxyJ said...

I hope you get feeling better soon. I've never experienced that particular complication since my apparatus underproduces, but it does sound painful. Good luck.

Thursday, August 02, 2007 8:37:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

There are shots men can take to make them lactate ... ask Th. if he's up for it!

Friday, August 03, 2007 5:37:00 AM  
Blogger AmyJane said...

Um. Have you HEARD my nasty mastitis story? It does not end well. It involves hospitalization, and surgery to drain 3 coke cans worth of staff infected pus from my right boob, and having to quit the breastfeeding. So you just get all the medical help you need to get better! Good luck.

Friday, August 03, 2007 4:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could be worse: you could have mastitis some time that you don't have a baby to blame it on.

Sunday, August 05, 2007 8:56:00 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I feel your pain! I know an amazing lactation consultant in Albany - Janaki Costello. When I was going through this she told me to soak my b**bs in hot water with epsom salt. This does require you to hang yourself over a bowl for 10 minutes at a time, but I found it totally worth it. Good luck!

Sunday, August 05, 2007 10:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home