Tuesday, July 03, 2007

July 3, 2007



In my arms I hold two things, both of which came out of me (not the plastic container, but what's inside it) (not the jumper, but what's inside it). Today we buried one and reaffirmed our decision to keep the other.

The other, after all, is so much cuter than what's in the plastic container; it really wasn't that hard a choice.

If you haven't guessed by now, that thing in the plastic container is my and the Littlest Thteed's, placenta.

Yup, you heard me right. That bloody thing in there is what he lived in inside my uterus. And since his birth, it (the placenta) has been residing in that plastic container in our fridge. Much to the chagrin of my mother who has been staying with us. "Ahck! What are you going to do with this!?"

Which is a reasonable question and a question I asked myself when my midwife asked me if we would like to keep it and take it home. I did not expect to be asked this. I did not get asked this with the Big O, but that was probably because he was a C-section and that placenta was completed depleted. The doctor described it as having grey hairs and being the oldest placenta he had ever seen. Theric says it was green, like undyed meat left in the butcher's display for too many weeks. Ew.

When she asked me if I wanted it, I, not having thought about it prior, said yes. So they packaged it up and after it hung around on the floor of my recovery room for about 15 hours, Theric took it home and put it in the fridge. Where it has been for the past two weeks.

I decided against making placenta stew or a placenta cocktail. Instead I decided to put it in the garden and plant a rose on top of it. Mentioning this to my midwife, she advised us to be sure to put it in a hole at least two feet deep to keep animals like dogs, cats and raccoons, from trying to dig it up and eat it--yhuck! I began to wonder if I really wanted to take it home.

Today Theric dug the hole and we planted the placenta. On top of that went the white Iceberg climbing rose my mother bought, which I am sure she did to expedite the placenta's removal from our fridge. All this was done in honor of the Littlest Thteed. Part of he and me is in the ground, in our yard, providing nutrients to a plant.

Welcome to earth little guy.

You can go over to Theric's blog for some footage of the event. Be warned: It's gruesome.

11 Comments:

Blogger Melyngoch said...

I'm sort of disappointed you didn't eat it, but mostly not at all; the rose idea is both more aesthetic and more almost-not-at-all-disgusting.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 10:36:00 PM  
Blogger FoxyJ said...

I should make sure my mom reads this post. I still have vague memories of an orange tupperware bowl in our freezer that contained someone's placenta. My parents did something special with each one (no eating). I think mine went under a lemon tree, and I'm almost positive Skye's went to Wyoming and was buried under an aspen.

I never got to see either of mine, but since the second one was particularly troublesome I wasn't sad to see it go. By the way, congrats on the VBAC.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 11:41:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

I'm very glad that you didn't have to give birth to the plastic container AND the baby. Also, the baby just keeps getting adorabler.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 12:58:00 PM  
Blogger Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

LS, YOU look great! the placenta...now that is a bit freaky. I don't blame mom for expediting the burial with the purchase of the rose bush.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 5:19:00 PM  
Blogger Science Teacher Mommy said...

It looks just like you. The baby, not the placenta. ;)

My midwife told me that many mammalian species actually eat their placentas. Thankfully THIS practice has not caught on among members of Homo sapien.

How old is the little tyke? I have a six week old--we are barely surviving baby number three.

Friday, July 06, 2007 10:02:00 AM  
Blogger Lady Steed said...

stm:in that pic the babe is two weeks and a day old. I too am glad that we don't normally eat the placenta, though I can see why some mammals do--it's obviously chock full of iron.

Friday, July 06, 2007 11:05:00 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Ok, I must admit, I'm with your Mom on the "SICK!" part. I cannot believe you took that home!! I hope the rose bust blooms nicely :)

Friday, July 06, 2007 12:57:00 PM  
Blogger daltongirl said...

You guys are SO freaking awesome!!

Sunday, July 08, 2007 4:29:00 PM  
Blogger Zillah said...

my doctor once told me about a couple who asked to take the placenta home so that they could sponge paint the baby's bedroom with it. to make him feel at home, they said.

their request was denied.

i find a rose much more palatable.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 7:50:00 AM  
Blogger Th. said...

.

!

Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:12:00 AM  
Blogger cchrissyy said...

holy cow, not 10 minutes ago I commented my thoughts on this on a diferent friend's blog!
I'm catching up all over the place tonight. wierd.

(not the placenta. that's cool. weird coincidence)

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 10:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home