Saturday, May 24, 2008

Rubber Ducky You're the One


Recently I met a girl, a toddler, who's afraid of rubber duckies. Any kind: big, small, pirate, hippy, leprechaun--no disguise donned by the rubber ducky can fool her. She is terrified by them all.

I witnessed her fear at a kiddie pool party I attended with Large S and Big O. There were rubber duckies in the pool; she refused to go in. After the ducks were removed she went in the pool and played happily with the other children.

During the play, some of the duckies made their way back into the pool. She turned around. She saw duckies. A look of fear entered her face; tears and quiet whimpering ensued.

It was funny and sad at the same time.

The adult that belonged to her had no idea where the ducky terror came from.

I wish I knew what makes her so terrified of this classic bath time companion. Because you know that's got to be an interesting story.

1 Comments:

Blogger Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

weird. I see adults like this on talk shows occasionally, but I always figured they were just faking it. Maybe it runs deep into their childhood though.

Monday, May 26, 2008 8:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home