Saturday, January 30, 2010

Mrs. Noah

Large S got this Noah's Ark toy for Christmas from Theric's parents. So we open up the box, start detaching the animal pairs: lion and lioness, giraffe and giraffe/ess, zebra/ess, and elephant/ess.

Then I detach Noah I start to tell Large S the story of Noah and the ark while he plays happily with his new toy. "There went in two and two unto Noah into the ark, the male and the female, as God had commanded Noah." And it is during the telling that I notice something is very wrong with this set.

I go back to the box to make sure I got all the figurines out. Yep, it's empty. Which figurine was I looking for?

Noah's wife.

Yeah, that's right, Fisher-Price decided to leave that one out. No human female on this ark. Was Noah a master of asexual reproduction? Sheesh. Talk about messing with the children.

It bothered me enough that we bought a Mrs Noah (2002 vintage) off eBay, but why did Mrs Noah get kicked off the ark between then and now? What did she do? Demand equal rights?

Oh Fisher-Price, I never would have pegged you as a bunch of misogynists.

4 Comments:

Blogger FoxyJ said...

That is weird--we have the old version with Mrs. Noah. I wonder if it was some sort of cost-cutting measure?

Saturday, January 30, 2010 6:35:00 PM  
Blogger Sposita said...

Really weird. Especially since I don't think of the Ark animals as particularly a "boyish" playset. We want her back!

But hey - they're still selling a Biblical Story set as part of their normal line! =)

Sunday, January 31, 2010 3:15:00 PM  
Blogger Lady Steed said...

Yes, I figure it must have been a cost cutting measure. But it still annoys me.

Monday, February 01, 2010 11:27:00 AM  
Blogger Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

You know, I don't know if I've ever seen a depiction of the ark WITH a woman, though it really needs one.

Monday, February 01, 2010 7:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home