Monday, October 15, 2007

Desire Fulfilled...for now...

I write this having just finished a fine ice cream novelty. One that I have been craving for quite a while now--at least the past two years if not more.

Man it was GOOD!

This novelty is an It's It. Specifically a Mint It's It. MMMMMMMMMM.............................

In my youth I would purchase Mint It's Its from the corner market, then walk over to the park and enjoy it while sitting on a swing. They were my favorite ice cream novelty and perhaps the greatest of all ice cream novelties.

It wasn't until I went off to college in Utah that I discovered that the It's It is a treat to be enjoyed only in California! The packaging wasn't lying when it said it was San Francisco's favorite treat! Without easy access to my favorite ice cream treat the It's It became a well loved memory.

Upon returning to California some years later I decided to look for my It's Its. We were living in Tehachapi at the time and only one grocery store carried them. But only in vanilla, not mint. Now, the vanilla It's It is also delicious and if you can acquire one I highly recommend it. But no matter how many vanilla It's Its I ate, my desire for mint never was quenched.

When we moved here, to the Bay Area I was happy to discover that pretty much every grocery carried It's Its! How exciting! But only vanilla. How disappointing. Available in a package of three! How exciting! But only three. Three??? How can you share with your spouse? Unless you're a bigamist?

But I guess the fantastic box illustrations almost made up for this.

I had given up hope of ever finding mint It's Its again. So frustrating! As a child, every grocery store and corner market had vanilla and mint! Oh why oh why had the popularity of mint waned?!!!!

But last Tuesday I found them!! At the Andronico's! Mint It's Its! Hooray! Joy! Rapture!

$1.19 each! HOLY CRAP!!!

I can get three for that price at the Safeway! Fortunately I was at the Andronico's with my father and he said he would buy it for me--what a nice guy.

So thank you, Dad. Thank you for my long desired mint It's It. It was delicious. Just like I remember....

Can you come buy me another?

6 Comments:

Blogger TheMoncurs said...

I grew up in the Bay Area and used to get the chocolate ones from the ice cream man for $.50 every time he came around. I was DEVASTATED when I moved to AZ and no one had even HEARD of It's It!! I'm glad you're living the dream. It gives me hope! And makes me hungry.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 8:53:00 AM  
Blogger Lady Steed said...

I know your pain...but you can order them from the website! Of course it's crazy expensive.....

I too remember them being $.50 each, that's why $1.19 for one had me hyperventilating in the store.

I have never even tried the chocolate flavor, but I think the Andronico's had it, maybe I will try it one of these days.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Wow. I totally want to try those. I wanted to tell you that I don't think Savvy's totally sold out to the devil yet. She likes Target way better than Wal Mart, but we drove by Wal Mart on the way home, so I think it was fresh in her mind.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 7:54:00 AM  
Blogger Lady Steed said...

Phew...Target is much better than Wal-Mart. Keep her precious soul safe! The Big O loves Target too, which I also find disturbing. I just wish there was some way to keep him from being so excited about stores.

You would love an its it. Too bad I didn't post this before your trip to the Bay Area--sorry.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 10:09:00 AM  
Blogger Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

We will have to talk mom and dad into getting us some when we're there in December. I've never had one and would love to try it!

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 1:34:00 PM  
Blogger Sposita said...

if you ever need a mint it's-it buddy (or accomplice)

I'M THERE.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 9:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home