Monday, April 30, 2007

Seduction by Seedlings

vegetables
Tonight Theric, the Big O and I ventured out to OSH to pick up plants and dirt for our garden. I had planned on purchasing only two tomato seedlings and eight strawberry seedlings, which would be grown in my two Earthboxes. The rest of the garden was to come from the seeds I had already started. I had a list and everything--I was prepared. And yet, I failed.

Standing in the nursery with my husband and child and a sign proclaiming seedlings to be a mere 84¢, I knew there would be trouble. I was right.

Theric was clearly excited by the varieties of vegetables. The Big O was also excited. I too was excited but remained focused on choosing just two tomato plants and eight strawberry seedlings. I selected the strawberries easily enough--only one variety there--then on to the tomatoes, of which there were quite a few varieties. I however, managed to narrow my search and select the variety I thought would be best.

Theric however was easily lured in by the tomato lovelies, he had to have them. In the end, however, he managed to select only two different varieties. Yes. Two. Because "Hey, they're only 84¢!" Oh, did I forget to mention that he was also seduced by corn? Yes, that's right, corn.

So, should all of these plants actually produce, we will be up to our ears in tomatoes, and maybe to our knees in all the other veggies I have already started growing.

When the crops roll in I may have more than I can handle. And you, of course, won't mind piles of veggies left on your porches during the night.

6 Comments:

Blogger Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Nice. I was also seduced by seeds. We bought garden beans, snap peas, radishes, turnips, onion bulbs, tomatoes, 2 types of cucumbers, zucchini, carrots, yellow crookneck, watermelon, and cantaloupe. We'll see what actually gets planted and what will grow.

We decided against corn because it takes up a lot of room (vertical though it may be) with relatively small yield.

We had to buy stuff to make a fence to keep rabits out, tons of fertalizer and soil since our natural soil is pretty rocky and clay like, and then of course the seeds. Then there was the rodatiller rental expense. Man, at least this first year our garden is NOT cheaper than buying in the grocery. I'm crossing my fingers that things grow well, though, in hopes that it will at least be better.

Good luck!! STRAWBERRIES. Yum. I'm jealous.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 5:41:00 AM  
Blogger Lady Steed said...

You are much more ambitious than us. I really wanted to get more seeds, but did restrain myself. I keep telling myself this: "Remember, this is your first(or is it second?) time gardening, certainly your first here, and you have no idea what's going to work and what won't." This thought has kept me from purchasing way too many plants and seeds. Also the fact that we are only three people, and I don't can, we can only eat so much! Oh, and there's the fact that the baby will come in June and I won't be able to do as much gardening.

We got one corn plant because the Big O has been BEGGING for corn. On a previous trip to OSH he put corn seed packs in my basket! I saw them and took them out because I don't really want to grow corn. But Theric figured having on plant of corn, for 84 cents was worth the Big O's happiness.

Our neighbor had a rototiller and let us borrow it, which was so nice. Eric tilled in a bunch of chicken manure, so the ground should be super fertile!

What I am most excited about is the Earthboxes. They are supposed to be fantastic. I bought them about two years ago and have never used them. If they work as well as they say, then I am just going to use them and fill the current garden strip with pretty flowers and maybe a berry bush.

Keep me posted on your progress.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 9:26:00 AM  
Blogger Recession Cone said...

When I first glanced at your post, the picture of vegetables looked like a SCARY ALIEN MONSTER. With 3 red eyes (the tomato and 2 peppers) and a whole host of assorted mouthparts (onion roots, cucumbers and peapods). It freaked me out!

Be careful, Thteeds. I have this ominous feeling that your seductive seedlings are plotting against you!

Thursday, May 03, 2007 3:13:00 PM  
Blogger daltongirl said...

You don't have to worry about the corn--it won't produce anything unless it has other corn to cross pollenate with. So you'll have a lovely stalk, and you can put it on your porch at Halloween time.

But if you have extra zucchini (and if you grow one plant, you will), can you leave some on my porch? I can't seem to grow one to save my life. I can grow anything but zucchini, which is weird, I know, but there it is. I always end up begging people for them at the end of summer.

Saturday, May 05, 2007 7:40:00 AM  
Blogger FoxyJ said...

I am jealous of your Earthboxes. I don't think I'll buy one this year (well, maybe, I think our growing season is a little later than most). Anyways, I just don't want to buy one and then have to move it in a few weeks. But it looks totally cool and a great idea for a smaller patio area like I have. Someday I would love to learn how to garden.

Saturday, May 05, 2007 10:49:00 PM  
Blogger Lady Steed said...

rc - I will take extra care.

DG - Thanks for the info on the corn. I would rather like to have a pretty corn stalk for my porch at Halloween time to go along with the pumpkins. however, there are like three little corn plants in the seedling container, so maybe we will get corn?

I find it so very hilarious that you can not grow zucchini. I thought it was impossible not to have success with that long green veggie ( I hope that is true because this will be my first time with it). But, since you live in Utah you should just put a sign in your car during church that says, "leave Zucchini here" Then you should get plenty. Right?

foxy - I'll let you know if the Earthbox is really as great as they make it sound. I am way excited to use them as I bought them when we were living in Tehachapi, but then never used them. We have moved twice with them. It is wise to not move with them as they are rather large.

Monday, May 07, 2007 10:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home