Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Two Milestones

(one was a bit bigger than the other)

1st Milestone: Little Lord Steed is two weeks old today

Despite his difficulty falling asleep and staying there for a while, I think we will keep him. His brother's have become very attached to him and are constantly asking to hold him and giving him kisses on top of his head. I can't give you any stats on how much he has grown since his 'two week check up' will not be until next week, when he will be three weeks old. But right now he only looks a little bit bigger than when we left the hospital. We are constantly commenting on his smallness. Both Theric and I had forgotten how tiny newborns are. He is still a bit jaundice and I am trying to not worry about that too much. He is certainly more aware and alert than he was just a week ago. He will stare at and track objects placed in his line of vision. He also seems to recognize our voices. He enjoys looking at our faces. Today a friend stopped by to see us and Little Lord Steed stopped crying for a moment when she leaned in close and said hello to him--I think he stopped crying because he did not recognize her voice or her face and was startled by this--it was kind of funny. Theric says that he has dimples, though I have yet to witness the appearance of two dimples, I have seen only one, so I will just have to take Theric's word for it. Little Lord Steed has made a very happy addition to our family.

2nd Milestone: First Day of School! First Day of School!

The Big O started Kindergarten today and it all went very well. For the past year the Big O has been telling me, "Mommy, I don't want to go to school. I want to stay home with you." Even after two Kindergarten tours. This has worried me. Especially when he suggested to me, "Mommy, why can't you do school at home with me like my Aunt does with my cousins?" No way I am homeschooling you kid--I'd be a horrible teacher. I decided to stop talking about Kindergarten since every time I brought it up the Big O would become very adamant about not wanting to go. I figured I'd just take him on the first day and deal with whatever scene would arise.

Fortunately there was no scene.

I credit this to my mother-in-law who came to visit 10 days ago and brought the Big O a 'Kindergarten Survival Kit' filled with crayons, scissors, paper, candy, cookies and other items, each with a cute little phrase about how said item would help the Big O survive Kindergarten. This kit completely changed his attitude. Ever since then he's been asking about when school would start and counting down the days to the first day of school. Today, August 25th, was the day. The Big O wore his brand new first-day-of- school-outfit and his new backpack and could hardly wait to leave the house (he has afternoon kindergarten which made the anticipation this morning that much more intense).

The only tears shed when he left to go line up with his class were mine. He barely said good-bye to me, I had to ask for a hug. I tried to impart a few words of wisdom and love but choked on my own tears instead. I had not expected this much emotion. I have been eagerly awaiting his first day of school. Having him all day at home was starting to drive me a little bit crazy, so I was quite surprised at my tears.

My Big O is growing up and is no longer baby--how can this be! How can the time have passed so quickly!? How can I have a child in Kindergarten?!

So the first day went way better than I had ever hoped for and he can hardly wait to go back tomorrow. Hooray for the Big O!

(Large S was a little sad and confused about why he could not go with his brother to school. But a hug made it all a little easier to handle.)


Blogger Tristen said...

Little Lord Steed IS so tiny, he's perfect!

And the Big O looks all grown up, I love that little guy. He's so sweet and so handsome and he'll do great at school. The picture of O and S hugging is absolutely precious. Thanks for sharing the first day of school, feels so far away but I know it's not!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:32:00 AM  
Blogger Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

i love the pictures and the update. that hug at the end is just too cute!!!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:19:00 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

What handsome boys you have! I'm glad the first day of school went well. The T-Rex shirt is awesome!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:22:00 AM  
Anonymous cchrissyy said...

those photos capture it so well!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:48:00 AM  
Blogger Scott and Cindy said...

This brought tears to my eyes - I've been thinking so much about that first day of school, even though it's two years away for us. Agh! I'm going to be a mess!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:20:00 PM  
Blogger Lady Steed said...

Thanks everyone.

Cindy: You will be a fountain I'm sure. I wanted to sob out loud but somehow managed to hold it together with only a few tears escaping--I didn't want the Big O to see me crying, I was afraid that might make him scared to go to school. I thought that maybe I would have seen some other parents crying, but no. It would have been a bit awkward to have been the only one.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:48:00 PM  
Blogger Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Oh and I can totally sympathize with the hard time falling asleep and staying asleep. That was totally Dean. But we got him sleep trained after a few months and a lot of tears on his and my part and he sleeps quite well now!

Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:24:00 AM  
Blogger SHARXGIRL said...

So glad the first day went so well. I love the pics you shared.

Sunday, August 30, 2009 2:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home